Thursday, September 25, 2008

Yes, I bought shoes

When you travel as regularly as I have been for the past few months, giving in to that 'from me to me' present gets a lot easier. You know, you're spending time away from home (feeling sorry for yourself), missing sleep and missing friends and possibly missing the train at times, with browsing through unfamiliar shops often the only form of entertainment available. No prizes for guess what's on the list of items on the most regular basis.

Had dinner with a friend in the UK & took a new work colleage from SA with. Her first response to my colleage when she heard that we'd been browsing shops earlier in the day - so did you buy shoes too? Oh well, guess one needs to be predictable some of the time!

This was also one of the times I was quite happy that the fashion seasions in South Africa are always (at least) one cycle behind, so we're only going into the spring/summer trends of the beginning of 2008 now. Yes, those same items that can be found on sale in the Northern Hemipshere for next to nothing since the stores are making space for new autumn/winter stuff, soon to be followed by the next spring/summer collections - usually in the dead of winter!

I don't normally think of myself as a fashion slave, but couldn't miss the gladiator sandal trend that was all over the place earlier in the year and what do I find? A lovely pair of brown leather calf high gadiator sandals for....drum roll please...5 British pounds! What a steal, and what an impossibility to pass by. So, getting back to SA, what do I find in all the shop windows? Gladiator sandals of course!

Problem is, I'm not sure if it's as much fun knowing that this is so two minutes ago in the rest of the world...

No comments: