Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Boot-e-licious

I am not the tallest person. At 1.65 m (or thereabouts) some would consider me to be of less than average height. I usually counter this by 'being tall on the inside' as I like to think of it and basically living in heels. Luckily, this often results in me being considered to be quite a bit taller than I actually am, and my er, curvaceous body type can be pulled off. Years of ballet (in my youth) have blessed me with substantial calves which look amazing in a pair of heels. All this background required to get to the point of this - if you have my particular height and body type (and looking around there are definately more than one of me) good luck if you're ever looking for a lovely pair of boots to complete your winter wardrobe.

You either need to have a foot a number of sizes larger (which would usually translate into an exponential height increase), or you need to have the build, appetite and genes of Kate Moss or some other waif-like creature to fit into the gorgeous options on offer. I find this incredibly frustrating and often feel like putting on a pout and whining that this is unfair (which is basically what I'm saying right now).

I know that when I find a pair of boots designed by someone who does not also double up as a horse-shoe designer (and can therefore be forgiven for thinking that all creatures have legs the size of their ankles) I am ecstatic and immediately buy a pair in all the available colours since it will be a long while until I come across this miracle of modern footwear again. When I spot a gorgeous pair that I would love to own and don't see 1) a lace up option 2) a substantial amount of expansion built in 3) suede-like stretchable material, I despair and first look around to see who will see me embarrasing myself by trying on a pair that will refuse to pull up past 50% of my calf. Very often I won't even bother. I mean its one thing to find something that doesn't fit in the privacy of a change room cubicle and you can wiggle and wrestle out of it in your own time, but quite another to be seen trying on a pair of boots and going through similar motions in full view of other customers. (I'm not sure if the amount of calories burnt off during this process is worth it)

Perhaps private cubicles to try on shoes may be an option now that I think of it, considering all the bending and possible exposure of underwear (or lack thereof), badly paired socks, un-pedicured feet, etc. could be done in the privacy of your own little stall with your own mirror that you don't have to wait your turn for. Of course, I'd also like more roomy boots. Please.

No comments: