Monday, June 30, 2008

Shoe myopia - the ultimate travel sin

I'm off to the UK again in a few days' time. I've noticed that even though I don't have a packing list written down yet (I always write them down, too many trips with no underwear packed and you learn...), I have been sub-consciously musing over what I may need to pack.

This is my dilemma - it is winter in South Africa at the moment (which means that in the early mornings it is rather cold (around 4 degrees Celcius) and for most of the day the sun shines (around 20 degrees Celcius). All you really need is something warm to get you from the front door to the car. After that you've got aircon if you're cold, or you can avoid the sun and be quite comfortable for the rest of the day. I am going to the UK, where it is summer, allegedly, which basically means it is around 6 degrees in the morning, there is never much sun, but if there is, its around 15 degrees and then again about 8 degrees at night. OK, I am exaggerating, but in a country where 'bright spells' are actual weather occurances (as opposed to here in SA where we have 'rainy spells' or 'cold spells') and their idea of a nice summer's day is my idea of a duvet day, you can see how I have wardrobe trouble. In addition to that, the English insist on turning up the central heating to its highest level so they can wear those lovely summer fashions we all see in the magazines - since that is the only way they will ever be able to wear them when not somewhere else having an actual summer holiday.

But I digress...my fear is this - shoe myopia (or short-sightedness (its a real medical term , look it up)). Too many times have I packed boots, when a slinky pair of summer heels would have been possible. UK winter weather is easy - no open toed shoes (I don't care what Vogue says) and boots. You can't go wrong there. Summer is a different matter, since you end up with all four seasons in one day and (unfortunately) you do not get four wardrobe changes - would that you could! Summer sandals do not always work with a business outfit - and are damn difficult to manouver the London underground with. Boots are useful, but the sweat lodge interiors will ensure your constant discomfort. A lovely pair of business-like pumps would seem the golden mid-way, but they can look really awful when the rest of the ensemble tries to be summery. Wedges? OK, they can work, now just need to get a pair in every required colour.

Stockings or no stockings, that's another issue - for outside, definitely stockings, but unless you are planning to join the sweat lodge chanting, inside is a no no. How do these people do it?! (O, yes, they don't have to life out of a suitcase). Business and after work dinner/drinks wear also needs to be considered, as does the scrutiny of my UK colleagues so as not to give the impression of being from a 3rd world country, which of course, I am.

I still don't know what I'm going to pack (and yes, even though I travel about once a month, I always have this internal struggle) but I will keep you updated. Any thoughts are welcome and yes, I have considered just buying the necessary when I get there. Where do you think I get most of my current precccciouss er...shoes from?

No comments: