Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bounty is a problem

Less is more? Um...ok, possibly. Can you ever have enough shoes? If you're asking that question and expect a serious answer, you really shouldn't be reading this. You're welcome to continue, but you're wasting your time. Trust me.

I currently live about 40 kms from my place of work. That means I spend about an hour (minimum) each way in traffic to get to the place that lets me work there so that I can earn a salary, some of which I spend on buying shoes. That's 2 hours each day, 5 times a week. I don't want to continue to calculation because I can already feel my life force draining away at the mere though. All this time is not spent in vain, I hasten to add in a feeble attempt to make me feel less like jumping in front of the nearest bus. I make phone calls, check my mail and have some pretty darn good ideas in traffic as I let my mind wander free.

Aside from this, the bf and I have been considering moving closer to Johannesburg (we live closer to Pretoria) so that we don't have to deal with that kind of traffic on such a regular basis. We've weighed the pros and cons, looked at houses (ridiculously expensive) and have remained where we are. I am contemplating a move again though - house prices are bound to come down since no-one can afford to buy one anymore so maybe there's a chance for us. The issue, which deep, deep down was the issue the first time around as well, is storage. Not just any storage, but clothes storage. That and shoes. You may have deduced that I might own just a smidgen more of these items that some.

What's a girl to do? My current shoe storage solution - similar to these - doubles as the curtains for my spare room. Which is more of a store room and an overflow for clothing. Yes, they hang in front of the window where the curtains should be. I thought that was a pretty darn good idea - where else was I going to accommodate 60 pairs of shoes? (I had to move them out of the bedroom when the bf moved in - he knew it was true love then). The problem is - the window is full up and I keep buying shoes. Where to go?

Soo, I tried some clearboxes to accommodate the overflow. The work pretty well and are really the only way to store shoes if you're going to go for boxes. Who has time to write labels or take pictures of shoes to store in boxes that you can't see through?

I have tried Google, not much innovation in the shoe storage area, except for these guys, who might have a brilliant concept - provided you have the floorspace to accommodate it.

I am at last turning to you, dear reader, in the desperate hope that you have a brilliant, yet to be patented idea - love to hear it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have that many shoes, maybe 20+ pairs. But I use these clear boxes with lids. They are available at The Container Store in the US, but I have found them for less than $1.00(usd) at Target, Big Lots and even The Dollar Store.

They are stackable and its easy to see all your shoes at once.
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=154&PRODID=61479

Heart's Desire Jewelry said...

Hi Rochelle! Have a look at my blog to pick up an award that I have given your blog :)

http://heartsdesirejewelry.com/blog/2009/03/blog-fabulous.html

Rochelle said...

@clarabela - thanks for the idea. Looks pretty good :) Am sure you can get them here in SA - just need more floor space to stack them all I'm afriad!

Rochelle said...

@ Heart - how lovely! Thank you so much {takes a bow}. I feel like jumping up and down making silly noises and shouting "I've never won anything!" lol, but seriously, thank you - its tre cool :)
Guess now I need to pass it on, hey?